Every time a company achieves first time
registration this list is further refined to reflect what the company
actually did. It was started in 1986 and now is the accumulated wisdom
of hundreds of successful registration projects using the process
approach now specified in ISO 9001-2000:
1. Make a senior person responsible for your
This person will report directly to the CEO and receive the needed
2. Form a Task Force and consider need/role of
Select no more than eight personnel from a cross section of grades and
3. Conduct survey (audit) using ISO 9001-2000
Report will identify adequacy of as-is procedures and need for new
4. Publish Quality Policy, Objectives and Action
Policy by the CEO, Objectives by VPs & Plan from Task Force.
5. Develop leaders to create and sustain
All leaders & Task Force must learn so they understand and can
6. Define organizational structure and
Keep this up to date with names & job titles as a formal document.
7. Involve employees in developing and improving
By awareness sessions, flowcharting, team reviews
and experience feedback.
8. Decide on the document coding procedure.
Use this from day one of developing system documentation.
9. Flowchart key processes showing all
Start with core processes and then tie in the support processes.
10. Code all forms in line with agreed coding
Every form should belong to a process, remove redundant forms.
11. Correlate all forms to flowcharts.
Every form should have a place, if not check completeness of
12. Review flowcharts for accuracy.
By "accuracy" we mean what actually happens!
13. Develop and use flowcharts to document
The flowchart can become the procedure, always include process
14. Review, reconcile, approve and issue as-is
Involve everyone and do not ignore comments. Process owners may
15. Prepare new procedures and train staff to
These will come from the ISO 9000 survey (see action 3) of your
16. Approve and issue new procedures and pilot
Quality planning is essential for customer driven teams eliminating
17. Describe your overall system in your quality
Keep it slim and simple for customers, every employee and suppliers.
18. Launch the system and respond quickly to
Throw a party you deserve it! Invite continuous improvement.
19. Audit and improve your system to raise value
and reduce avoidable costs.
Your trained audit team will come from action 15. Cover suppliers too.
20. Conduct preassessment at least two months
before the Registrar.
Use a registered lead auditor and ensure all corrective action records
are up to date.